Monday, July 2, 2007

"Let there be [attractive] light!"


And so it was.

It took me a little over two hours to replace the old (ancient) (antiques) (maybe I should put them on e-bay!) light fixtures from the exterior. Yes, I still have one up on the side of the house at one of the two service doors, but that can just wait.

First, the entire mounting bracket and screws were completely rusty. After nearly ruining the entire first set, I used a drill at the right torque to remove the rest, and they came out easy as pie.

Second, the screws that came with the fixtures were too big for the electrical box holes. I had to improvise. The first set I tried to make work (I honestly thought I was screwing them into mortar... yes, I have my moments.. they miss the mortar/brick completely) and ended up breaking one in half! Fortunately, my handy pliers were able to remove the rest of it and start over. After I got the first one done, the rest were much easier.

I'm getting really excited now about seeing the matching iron columns... I need to get back out there and paint!

And.. yes.. that cop sits out there every day that I do a project... to, uh, "clock traffic".

2 comments:

Beach Bum Marcie said...

Beth, is that you....where have you been???

And, deja vu, what???

Beach Bum Marcie said...

P.S. LOVING the house. :) it is looking fabulous!